Types of Mental Illness and Their SymptomsWayak Medical Team
Types of mental illness and their symptoms
The types of mental illnesses and their symptoms vary, the Egyptian Ministry of Health had summarized mental illnesses on its official website by listing them and dividing them into:
- Psychological stress
- Bipolar disorder
- Compulsive sleep
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
It is very difficult for a person to discover any psychological or mental illness that he has. It may take many years for a person to realize that he suffers from a mental or psychological illness to decide to go to a psychiatrist. It requires obtaining a lot of information for the person to determine his illness, go to the psychiatrist to get diagnosed, and then work with him to improve his mental health.
Mental health professionals, whether therapists or physicians, use the DSM-5 manual published by the American Psychiatric Association, and it contains a detailed definition of the symptoms of each mental illness.
You will learn about mental illnesses types and their symptoms in detail in the following lines
The most dangerous types of mental illness
major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder are the most dangerous types of mental illnesses or mental and psychological disorders among the types of mental illnesses and their symptoms, and we will learn about them in detail in the following lines:
Schizophrenia or schizophrenia, as it is popularly known, is one of the most dangerous mental illnesses because it is chronic and greatly affects the patient’s mental well-being. Its symptoms also vary according to the condition and its level from mild to severe, but in general, the symptoms are summarized in the:
- Visual hallucinations are where a person with schizophrenia sees things that are not there.
- Auditory hallucinations, where a patient with schizophrenia hears voices that do not exist.
- There are also hallucinations of smell and taste and hallucinations of sensation.
- Infection with delusion or delusion, which is the patient’s complete conviction of a false belief, such as his feeling that those around him are persecuting him, watching him, conspiring against him, or having religious or sexual delusions.
- The presence of a disorder in thinking, which is observed in the patient’s utterance of incomprehensible or organized speech, and difficulty in communicating with others.
- Isolation away from society and scarcity of speech.
- Self-flagellation and loss of passion.
Early detection and initiation of treatment are among the most important steps that prevent the disease and its symptoms from worsening. Often, medication therapy is the solution to the apparent symptoms, but it must be accompanied by behavioral treatment.
You can follow the most dangerous types of mental illness and their symptoms in the following lines.
- Major depressive disorder
It is also known as clinical depression or major depressive disorder, and it is one of the most serious and widespread mental and psychological diseases, its symptoms are represented in the feeling of intense, continuous sadness for not less than two weeks so that it becomes more intense in the morning, and the symptoms are also represented in the loss of enthusiasm towards daily routine activities or towards their relationship with others. Other more obvious symptoms:
- The feeling of constant exhaustion and loss of energy
- Feeling that everything is useless
- Hesitation and dispersion of focus.
- Loss of ability to make decisions.
- Constant insomnia or sleeping for long periods
- Not enjoying anything in life
- Constant thoughts of suicide and committing suicide
- Weight loss or gain
Women are more likely to suffer from depression than men, due to reasons such as pregnancy, childbirth, or abortion, due to the hormonal changes and fluctuations that women experience during puberty.
One of the reasons for falling into the traps of depression is moving from one place to another, retiring from work, having work disputes, exposure to verbal or physical violence, or having marital problems. Early detection of the disease helps prevent its exacerbation, and one of the most important steps in treatment is to obtain drug treatment by taking antidepressants, in addition to behavioral psychotherapy and electroconvulsive therapy in case of non-response to medication.
Among the types of mental illnesses and their symptoms that pose a danger to the patient and society are the following.
- Bipolar disorder
It is one of the serious mental and psychological diseases, which is represented in severe mood swings, which range from severe mania to severe depression, and extreme joy. Bipolar disorder is divided into three types:
- The first type, we notice it in the emergence of severe manic episodes that last for a week, interspersed with severe depressive episodes that affect the patient before or after the manic episode.
- The second type is the emergence of severe depressive episodes that last at least two weeks, interspersed with manic episodes that last for at least four days. The second type may include double disorders that combine severe depression and severe mania at the same time. This type is more common among women than men. Pharmacological treatment is represented by antipsychotics, antiarrhythmics, mood stabilizers, and antianxiety drugs, in addition to behavioral and cognitive therapy, in addition to electroconvulsive therapy.
We still have a lot to talk about the types of mental illnesses and their symptoms, you can follow them in the next paragraph.
Women Mental illnesses
Psychiatric clinics must be visited all the time to maintain mental health and psychological health, just like physical health, and to obtain a medication that stimulates brain cells, it’s necessary to get medical advice, which is available on the online medical consultation website through online medical advice or telephone medical advice through Wayak website and Wayak application.
Mental illnesses are more prevalent in women, due to the hormonal fluctuations and changes that women are exposed to because of their physical nature. Often, one woman out of five suffers from depression or anxiety.
We still have an important point to discuss regarding the types of mental illnesses and their symptoms. You can see it in the following lines.
Rare mental illnesses
There are five types of mental illnesses and their symptoms are considered rare:
- Erotomania includes schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, brain tumors, dementia, and alcohol and drug addiction.
- Capgras syndrome is the patient’s belief that the people close to him have been replaced by fake others
- Stendhal’s syndrome is when people have panic attacks caused by a severe emotional wave as a result of seeing fine art that they love.
- Factitious disorder is when someone exaggerates that they have a disease and fakes symptoms
- Amputation Love Syndrome is the patient’s urgent desire to amputate healthy parts of his body
Now we have talked in detail about the types of mental illnesses and their symptoms.
Through the article, the types of mental illness and their symptoms, it becomes clear to us that:
- Health care must be taken care of
- To do medical consultations
- Visit laboratories
- X-rays to check on our health
- Do not go to any clinic, it should be a clinic that provides excellent medical services
- Buy the right medicines.
You can now follow all of this by downloading Wayak application, which is available on Wayak website, and also benefit from Wayak card discounts.
Wayak app on Google Play
Wayak app on the App Store
Wayak for your health and medicine
Types of Mental Illness and Their Symptoms is not the last article. To read more, visit the blog
Leave a Reply